New Castle County Hospital/Almshouse
Photo of the New Castle County Almshouse shortly after its completion in 1884. The first patients arrived in 1885. The name was changed to the New Castle County Hospital in 1889. In 1933, the New Castle County Hospital (along with its own dedicated cemetery) was closed and the indigent aged people became wards of the state (and moved to the new State Welfare Home in Smyrna); the land and the old NCCH building were sold to DSH for $20,000, and the building was renamed the "New Castle Building." It burned to the ground in 1961.